As most of you already know, the word Marketing is an English term that dates back to the middle of the 16th century. Although it has become popular as an anglicism, in Spanish it should be called Mercadotecnia, a totally Spanish neologism and much more accurate in the denomination of what it conceptualises, which refers to the techniques and principles to develop commercial volume.
However, it was not until the beginning of the 20th century that the term marketing was used for the first time in a brochure describing a course by the American professor E.D. Jones (Massachusetts). Later, in 1914, Professor Lewis Weld (Connecticut) presented the research “Market Distribution” at the American Economic Association, which is considered to be the first scientific research on marketing.
But let’s take a big leap to the present day to find out at what point Digital Marketing has become part of our lives.
If we take a look at the advancement of technologies we get that:
- In 1973, the first mobile phone call is made.
- In 1981, the first personal computer was launched on the market.
- In 1985, the AMA considers a new definition “Marketing is the process of planning and executing the conception, pricing, communication and distribution of ideas, products, and services to create exchanges that satisfy individuals and organisational objectives”.
- In 1995 Yahoo and Altavista launch their first search engines.
- 1998 saw the birth of
- 2000 saw the birth of Inbound Marketing and, along with it, Content Marketing.
- 2003 saw the birth of Facebook.
- In 2004, the AMA formulated another definition: “Marketing is an organisational function and set of processes aimed at creating, communicating and distributing value to customers and managing customer relationships in ways that benefit the organisation and its stakeholders”.
- Twitter was born in 2006.
- In 2017 we reach the moment of total digital change.
From this point on, an immense path opens up for marketing, with an infinite horizon full of possibilities.
Therefore, the current definition of digital marketing is: “A component of marketing that uses the internet and online digital technologies, such as desktop computers, mobile phones and other digital platforms and media to promote products and services” (Wikipedia).
Technology is advancing by leaps and bounds, which is why we must always be up to date so as not to miss the opportunity to take advantage of each new advance that helps us in the process of improving our businesses.
Companies that do not adapt are left behind, yes, it is a fact. If you want to start a business or you already have one and you have not yet implemented these tools, do not wait a second longer and improve your situation thanks to this technology.
If you don’t know where to start, consult a professional for advice. Can we help you?
You may also be interested in…
As you may already know, web design is the process of planning, conceptualising and creating the visual and functional structure of a website. It...
A brand identity manual, also known as a brand style guide or brand book, is a document that establishes guidelines and standards for the correct...
At Taranna Marketing we are especially excited to tell you about our new website!We have been working with a lot of effort and motivation to offer...